Also known as a podiatrist, a foot and ankle specialist like those in Family Podiatry Centre Malaysia and Singapore, treats the foot, ankle, and other parts of the leg. Common foot problems podiatrists will be able to treat include:
Foot infection: Athlete’s foot and how do specialists treat it?
Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection of the skin that can occur on any part of the foot, including in between the toes. This short video below on athlete’s foot shows some of the typical features of the infection.
Do I have a foot infection and need to see a specialist?
Although itchiness is a common symptom, Athlete’s foot does not always cause itchiness. If you have a foot infection, dry looking skin around the heel, arch, or toes of the foot may not improve with moisturisers. Therefore, assessment by a foot specialist is crucial when an infection is detected.
If the infection occurs between the toes, it commonly occurs between toe numbers four and five. Infection in this location may look soggy, white, or red. The skin may even peel and cause irritation. The signs and symptoms almost always become worse when one wears closed shoes for an entire day. This is one of the reasons why it is also common in individuals who work long office hours.
Fungal infections of the skin of the foot frequently spread to the nails causing a condition known as Onychomycosis. Nail infections are very difficult to treat and could take up to a year of treatments before healing. Therefore, immediate medical care by a foot specialist is recommended.
Foot specialist advice on how to prevent athlete’s foot
Keeping the skin on your feet free from infections can be a tough task. Follow these simple steps to avoid fungal infections on your feet.
- Always wear flip-flops or sandals inside gym showers, changing rooms, around swimming pools, nail salons, and reflexology places.
- Never share shoes and sandals.
- Wash your feet thoroughly with soap and water upon exiting a swimming pool and dry them meticulously. Children should do the same.
- Shoes that are regularly worn for many hours during the day should be dried out under direct sunlight weekly.
- Ensure that your nail salon uses sterile instruments or bring your own.